From the Columbus Dispatch:
"Women left far behind as new jobs arrive; analysts say recession had hit men harder
By Tony Pugh
Recovery helping men more | The Columbus Dispatch by Tony Pugh, February 22, 2011
The Dylan Ratigan Show, March 24, 2011
"Why Should You Care about Planned Parenthood?How defunding Planned Parenthood could affect you:
- 4.7 million Americans may lose access to reproductive and family planning care, particularly middle- and low-income women.
- If you don’t have insurance, you may have to pay for a doctor’s visit to receive a prescription for birth control and pay full price at the pharmacy for it.
- Be careful! Without easily available screenings, counseling and treatment, the transmission of STDs and HIV may rise.
- Your daughter, niece, or younger cousin (and her boyfriend) may lose their safe, confidential, and free place to receive counseling, birth control, and testing.
- If you are low income and/or without insurance, you may have to pay the full price of STD screenings, which can cost $85 to $220 for each type. That doesn’t include the cost of the doctor’s visit, which can be another $200.
- You will have to visit a private practice for prenatal health care and, if you don’t have insurance, pay full price.
- Depending on the location, you may lose access to free or reduced cost general services like anemia testing, cholesterol screening, diabetes screening, physical exams, flu vaccines, help with quitting smoking, high blood pressure screening, tetanus vaccines, and thyroid screening.
- If you are an OB/GYN, your number of patients may increase."
Call, email, fax your senator today to say "no" to defunding Parenthood and Title X programs.
MoveOn.org Political Action: Top 10 Shocking Attacks from the GOP's War on Women
Response to Miscarriage Investigation Bill: "I Submit My Used Tampon as Evidence" | AlterNet by Jill Filipovic, February 25, 2011
There’s a new bill in Georgia sponsored by Rep. Bobby Franklin that would require women to file police reports when they miscarry, since fetuses are Georgia citizens and their deaths are potential crimes. I’m going to write more about the bill later — it’s actually really horrific and scary and basically turns all women into potential criminal."
Daily Kos: Now Republicans want to repeal child labor laws February 14, 2011
Conservative Legislators Attack Abortion Rights - Legal Momentum Briefing Room Women's Legal Defense Fund, January 27, 2011
GA Legislator Wants to Create The Uterus Police to Investigate Miscarriages | AlterNet (Feb 2011)
GOP Attacks Women : Weiner Responds | Video Cafe by Heather, February 25, 2011
Rep. Jackie Speier: "Abortion" Fuels Intolerant Thinking
House Votes to Defund Planned Parenthood February 18, 2011
How Conservative Attacks on Health Care Reform Will Affect You by Tony Carrk, January 5, 2011
Ezra Klein - Health-care reform and women [But wait a minute, the GOP wants to repeal the health reform legislation]
Women’s Health and Rights in Jeopardy as Representatives Look to Eliminate International Family Planning