Saturday, September 25, 2010

NBC TV WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD!!

OH MY GOD! I just spent two wonderful, delicious days on the NBC TV website. ... Hey, I love my MSNBC and TNT; but, NBC rocked my world in primetime for those two days.

A month ago, I canceled my cable to save some money and get away from the "Boob Tube" for awhile. Thought I'd become a more productive person ... besides, I knew I could always catch my favs, Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann, on my computer at the MSNBC website.

People, ... I think I've spent more time on my computer watching full episodes of *****"The Closer", "Leverage", "Hawthorne" ( Jada Pinkett-Smith) , "Memphis Beat" (Alfre Woodard), "Southland" (Regina King), ... you get my drift ... yeah, more time watching those full episodes [and more] on my computer than I ever spent watching television [and I've got 10 (yes, I said 10) television sets all over my house]. Ain't that a "bit..h"

I'm ashamed to say, ... heaven help me, ... I did watch USA network. Forgive me ...

Actually, I'm pissed at them because they seem to think that African American women don't exist on this planet (well, maybe 1 or 2 exist in their world). Truly, I'm not joking.

Yes, yes, I did write them ... told them I'd be spending my time at TNT until I saw evidence of African American actresses in the foreground, the background, the lead, ... hell, until I saw African American actresses at USA network all over the freaking "episodes" place.

I don't know about you, but I was tired of that old format ... white guy/black guy/white chick ... [Don't get me wrong, I love a brother getting his propers, and a whole lot of compensation, ... if you know what I mean] ... But, hell, like I said ... where are the African American actresses on USA? I'm looking all over the place. What the hell is wrong with USA? I saw a little something something with Diahann Carroll on "White Collar", but was that it?

Then I see Marsha Thomason return to "White Collar". [Someone at USA must have gotten a memo about the scarcity of Black actresses on their network.]
-
But "give me a break" I really got pissed off when they made Marsha's character a Lesbian, thereby ensuring that she would never have a "hot and heavy" relationship with Neal or some really sexy man. I was totally not feeling that lesbian part; however, I mean no disrespect towards our Lesbian sisters.
=
I want to see some HOT SCENES between an African American actress and a MAN on primetime television. ARE YOU LISTENING NETWORKS?
-
I won't dismiss ABC - ABC, ... I'm feeling the love ["Rookie Blue" - dynamite] ... but, ABC, you've got to step up to the plate to compete with TNT. [10/3/2010 Update: see below]**
-
And what the hell is wrong with CBS primetime? Can you possibly be worse than USA network?
-
Anyway, the other day, I decided to see what full episodes were on the NBC website. I had heard about this exciting new show [that the Washington Post said was "Irresistibly Watchable"] called "Undercovers" starring [yummy] Boris Kodjoe and [beautiful and luscious] Gugu Mbatha-Raw (yes, that's her name). Totally enjoyed the pilot episode, and told NBC I wanted to see more.**** [UPDATE]

Well, my fun at NBC was just beginning. I went from "Undercovers" to Parenthood (with Joy Bryant) to "30 Rock" to "Outlaw" (with Jimmy Smits), to "Outsourced" to "Law and Order -LA" (with Regina Hall). and landed at the creme de la creme of TV shows, "The Philanthropist" starring "heart stopping", "take me to bed" James Purefoy as the sexy, reckless, spontaneous, impulsive billionaire Teddy Rist.

My complaints about the scarcity of African American actresses ?? ... NBC had my back ... and "The Philanthropist" delivered and answered my prayers. African/African American/Indian/Haitian actresses/everywhere. Yes baby ... I had my "dream come true" television network at last.***
-
-

-
GOOD JOB ABC:
**ABC/Extreme Makeover Home Edition does something great for the girls in Baltimore , the Johnsons; and I'm looking forward to the wonderful Sunday in December when you air Extreme Makeover Home Edition (in Maple Hts) with that truly amazing Anderson family.
-
**More Kudos for ABC:
"There's a brand new housewife in the neighborhood! Okay, Renee Perry (Vanessa Williams) isn't exactly a housewife since she spends a lot of her time zipping around in a private jet." Let's hope Vanessa stays a lot longer on the series than the magnificent and accomplished (actress) Alfre Woodard did.
-
**and then there's "Castle" with the lovely Tamala Jones and (of course) "Grey's Anatomy" (Chandra Wilson). You're getting better ABC!! Again, KUDOS for you.
-
-
NBC
I was a little irreverent in my regards for the character in NBC's "The Philanthropist". This exceptionally well cast, written, produced, and directed story is loosely based on Bobby Sager's philanthropy and dangerous travels. I say loosely because Mr. Sager is by no means the irresponsible playboy portrayed by James Purefoy. Mr. Sager does seem to have a bit of the risk taker in him; however, he is a loving husband and father who has done much good in this world that has too much misery and suffering. I bought "The Philanthropist" DVD, and I've played it over and over again. Every single time, I end up either smiling or with wistful tears.
-
*** If you're not able to watch episodes of "The Philanthropist" on the NBC website, buy the canceled series at Amazon, then tell NBC to bring the series back with all the original cast: "The Philanthropist"
-
-
**** Just heard that "Undercovers" might be on the chopping block. NBC, you canceled the creme de la creme of TV shows (The Philanthropist), ... now you want to cancel "Undercovers"? ... Do it and I'll never stray from TNT ever again. Trust me.
-
-
TNT
*****A word to TNT about "The Closer" ... You had a woman of color on the show. Now you're lacking in African American actresses in the cast. What's up? You really don't want me telling my friends you discriminate against African American actresses on "The Closer" ... You need to get real, fast.
-
Oh, and Jada (Hawthorne), ... lose that actor that plays your love interest.... he's BORING ... and totally not sexy.
-
One more thing, ... when you put African American actresses in the cast, make sure you have some great writers. A lot of times you pinch hit with second rate writers (there are exceptions of course - "Grey's Anatomy" for one). You point fingers at the actors (blaming them for the shows failure) when it's really about crappy writers. Not loving that tactic at all (totally transparent).
-
-

UNDERCOVERS


Key to it All - Aired December 29, 2010
-


 
Funny Money - Aired December 22, 2010
-

 
A Night To Forget - Aired December 1, 2010
-

-

Crashed Aired Wednesday, November 10, 2010


No comments: